Nuorgam Village Info
Village and services
Traditional Sámi Village
Located in the Municipality of Utsjoki, Nuorgam is a traditional riverside Sámi village. Today’s population is approximately 200 and the languages spoken here are Finnish, Sámi and Norwegian. The main sources of livelihood are natural economies, cross-border trade and tourism. The village services have a long history due to the proximity of Norway and cross-border trade. Indeed, the unemployment rate in Nuorgam is zero and some of the villagers work in Norway.
Nuorgam is a traditional riverside Sámi village with its villagers earning their livelihoods from natural economies, fishing, willow grouse hunting and cattle farming, particularly tending sheep. Historically, reindeer husbandry did not play a big role, but has increased since. Because of the barren natural conditions of the northern location, it has not been possible to cultivate crops.
Nuorgam has a wide range of services available. Opening hours can be checked direct from the companies’ websites.
- K-Market Aurala
- K-market Nuorgam
- Johansen Oy building supplies
- Learex building supplies
- Alko (alcohol sales), located in the K-market Nuorgam premises
- Samimootor (vehicle repairs and spare part sales)
- Fuel sales: SEO (automat)
- Nuorgam Holiday Village
- Arctic Siida
- found in the Samimootor Oy premises
Salmon and reindeer/Natural product shops
- Inger Delikatesser, 100 metres from the Holiday Village in the direction of Nuorgam
- Porotuote Länsmän, 3 km in the direction of Norway – in Rajala
- Insku, 3 km in the direction of Norway – in Rajala
- operates in K-Market Nuorgam
Matkahuolto (bus & parcel services)
- in the Samimootor Oy premises
- Nuorgam Holiday Village +358 400 294 669
- Raimo Esa Guttorm, tel. +358 40 1239 395
Chapel (Nuorgam Prayer Room)
Nuorgam does not have a bank automat (ATM). The closest ATM is located in the village of Inari (170 km) and a credit card ATM in the municipality of Tana on the Norwegian side of the border (25 km).