Nuorgam is situated at the top of Finland and the EU, 500 kilometres north of the Arctic Circle. And still our location is very central while on route to the Arctic Ocean and the Finnmark area in Norway. Nuorgam is the gateway to the Arctic Ocean!
The close proximity of the Norwegian border crossing gives our village with its 200 inhabitants a very international atmosphere with the many tourists visiting during the summer season. Summer in this salmon valley is dominated by the king of fish and sports fishermen from all over Europe come to try their luck.
The winter passes slowly, just like the water under the icy cover of the Teno River, this is when we meet with Norwegian traders and European winter tourists. When the sun rises over the horizon our village fills with people on snowmobiles and ice-fishermen and their families here to catch the giant Arctic char!
Nuorgam is also a place to visit during the period of winter twilight (26.11- 16.1). At this time you have the possibility to experience the Northern Lights, magical blue light and peacefulness of midwinter. At this time it is not pitch-dark throughout the day, the snow gives us some light and softens the moment. And you may also experience the Northern Lights in early afternoon.
Useful area maps
Services and distances
- Well assorted boarder shopping; 2 supermarkets,
clothing store, 2 building supply stores, fishing
equipment, 3 shops with reindeer products
(reindeer and salmon), souvenirs
and a liquor store.
- Pharmacy sales service point
- Service stations and fuel: Seo and Neste
- Car repair shop and spare part sales
- Freight services and postal services
- Taxi and transportation services
- Programme and guide services
- Chapel (Nuorgamin chapel) (in Finnish)
- Pub - restaurant
Nuorgam does not have a cash dispenser!
The nearest cash dispenser is in Inari and
credit card dispenser in Tana.
Service guide for Utsjoki-Nuorgam area (in Finnish)
Travel guide: Northern Norway
Distances by road are:
- Utsjoki 45 km
- Inari 190 km
- Ivalo (airport) 210 km
- Rovaniemi (airport and railway station) 510 km
Nuorgam being the northernmost place in both Finland and the EU is a sight in itself, small, but at the top!
And after arriving in Nuorgam you may take a drive along the Teno River; the drive between Nuorgam and Karigasniemi has been chosen as the most beautiful road in Finland. The scenic route between Nuorgam and Utsjoki passes by the famous Alaköngäs rapids, where it is possible to observe the fishermen toiling.
Other sights in the Nuorgam village and nearby areas:
- Isonkivenvaara – viewpoint, sitting stone
and environmental art
- Pulmankijärvi lake and Pulmankijoki river valley,
which in ancient times has been on the
bottom of the Arctic Ocean
- The Nivajoki Museum Road; an old road used
to pass by the river rapids and Alajälve:
an ancient settlement
- The EU’s northernmost point - a flagstone
on the national boarder N 70 05 E 27 58
- The EU’s northernmost school
- The Nuorgam chapel
- Norway and the Arctic Ocean in all their
splendour, take photographs of the
fishing villages and towns
- The Polmak Teno and Varangerbotn
Sami museums and Polmak church
- Mortensnes Cultural Heritage Site, Stone
Age settlements, Sami sacrificial sites and
graves, outdoor museum, well-kept trails
and a popular shore fishing site.
- The King’s Stone, in Vetsiko between
Nuorgam and Utsjoki
- The old farmstead of Välimaa: now a
museum – River Sami trading habits and
- In Utsjoki a church designed by Carl Engel and
respective chapels, built in the 17th century
(the film Christmas Story was filmed here)
- Rastigaissa: East-Finnmark’s highest mountains,
which can be seen from the top of the treeless
mountains in Nuorgam.
- The midnight sun 16.5. – 27.7.
- The period of winter twilight 26.11- 16.1.